[dba-Tech] MS launch of Surface range

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Wed Jun 20 02:10:20 CDT 2012

Hi Jim

Of course, such a machine wouldn't be my primary machine for development. What's important, however, is the difference between "it can't" (iPad etc.) and "it can with some limitations" (small screen, less than optimum keyboard, etc.).

I have an old HP Pavilion zd8000 laptop with 17" screen which I managed to get reinstalled with Windows 7, and with an external mouse it can be used for full day work with Access or Visual Studio. But it's heavy and I wouldn't carry it when I wasn't sure I would have to use it.
The Surface tablet will be so light that I can carry it even when it would be likely I wouldn't have to use it, while doubling as a tablet with Metro and the touch interface.

/gustav

>>> accessd at shaw.ca 20-06-12 0:25 >>>
Not that I disagree with you at all but I have been using the very same
argument with regards to MAC equipment. Why not just buy a nice laptop that
performs as good or better at half the price? ;-)

Is looks and having the "right" gear that important?...Isn't development
production more important?