[dba-Tech] MS launch of Surface range

Peter Brawley peter.brawley at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 20 08:46:57 CDT 2012

On 2012-06-20 2:24 AM, Gustav Brock wrote:
> Hi Hans
>
> I can see how people use tablets or pads and I could use one as well. But it would be for casual use and I'm reluctant to spend money just to fill such need.

My 7" tablet fills several use niches. Runs client software for our
music server. Is a terrific way to watch movies late at night without
disturbing the spouse. Is terrific for those wherever moments when the
conversation leads to "let's look that up", which turns out to be
something like a dozen times a day. Most surprisingly it's transformed
reading habits. When in the course of a working day I find an article on
the 'net I want to read, I now mostly just add the bookmark to my read
list. The Chrome browser synchronises desktop & tablet bookmark menus,
so later, nowhere near a desk, I can read any of those pieces in
comfort. And it's much more enjoyable reading an ebook than a dead tree
book. I can carry around all the books I'm reading and dip into any of
'em at any time. The lighting is better than with a dead tree book, no
need for external light, page turning is a finger touch, I can save off
excerpts if i like, I don't have to put it down to reference something
on the 'net, and it always remembers where I was. All this in a light
device that slips into a pocket.

So, a terrific appliance that does some things I couldn't do before,
does some things better than anything else. frees up a fair bit of desk
time, and ('cept for testing apps I write for it) has zero functional
overlap with a development 'puter.

PB