[dba-Tech] Win 7 Prof network puzzle

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 12 12:15:29 CDT 2012

Hi Peter:

That is interesting. I think Windows7 of XP protocols between each other are
not 100 percent compatible but if you use a statement that uses the absolute
IP address you should have no problem.

I do not have or traditionally work with networks that are domain type which
means everything is centrally controlled through the Active Directory and
the policies setup. Other than that I connect to the servers and station via
Remote desktop protocol RDP.

But you can connect avoiding forcing the network to resolve the UNC by
keying in the IP address: \\192.168.134.100\MyShare. (That is assuming that
the Windows7 computer is 192.168.134.100) If you then have a user, other
than the administrator, you will be able to connect, entering the
appropriate username and password.

HTH