[dba-Tech] i7 Ivy Bridge, 4 cores, 8-16GB RAM etc.

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Thu Nov 15 03:44:57 CST 2012

Hi Gustav --

I wanted to keep Visual Studio on VMs if that will work quick enough assuming that in the near future it will become affordable for SMB software development companies to keep their development systems running "on cloud" ...

I have a few customers but  if I'm working on the projects of one customer then I have two to four Visual Studio instances open each keeping from several to a dozen of projects, as well as MS Access, Word, Excel etc. - if it happens I have to switch to another customer's projects I have to close the first one VS solutions - just putting a VM to background and activating another one with the second customer development environment ready to use would have saved quite some time - I could have worked on several customers projects in parallel, I'm trying to avoid doing that "multi-tasking" currently as just switching VS environments is time consuming. Also doing some R&D while working on a customer project would be better done on a separate system box/VM....

So, yes, I suppose that having a ready to use VM for each customer/R&D/deploying context would be helpful to effectively work on several customers projects in parallel and to do R&D or at least having one customer's projects in "main development mode" and keeping the others' projects in "ready to switch and quick-fix urgent issues" mode...

Thank you.

-- Shamil

Чтв 15 Ноя 2012 10:08:42 от "Gustav Brock" <gustav at cactus.dk>:

>Hi Shamil

A matter of preferences, I think, but I keep the main developing apps - Visual Studio - on the main machine with an SQL Server Express.

Running local VMs on a workstation is mostly a question of enough ram installed.

Are you sure you need a VM for each client?

/gustav