[dba-Tech] Disappearing shortcuts

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Oct 1 10:29:52 CDT 2012

The only time that I have ever seen icons/shortcuts disappearing from the
desktop is when Windows say, "There are unused shortcuts on your desktop,
remove?" and id you reply "Y" the older icons will be removed. There are
some registry setting controlling that process and duration.

That said, I have never seen them disappearing automatically.

....But there are some features, sort of like extended desktops, that can be
spawned when you have a Windows server backend setup appropriately. It will
manage the desktop even when you, as a single user, have logged into
multiple stations. Login as station A and B and if you change something
within your username group on station A, within a few moments that change is
reflected on station B. This feature is not automatic, must be setup and
only works on domain networks. I will never install such nonsense.

A client called one time saying there was something wrong with their network
and they wanted me to come down and fix it. It seems that files kept
disappearing and their desktops kept changing in layout. I had not been
aparty to the initial install and it took me a couple of hours to figure it
out and resolve it. The new girl did not have her own account yet, so the
owner was letting her use another employees account. The trouble is that the
other employee was working at the time. As he changed his desktop, so would
hers change, about fifteen minutes later. (The desktop colour would change
from purple to green and back) It was all quite humorous in the end.

I don't think you should have any issues along this line unless your son has
been helping with the network. ;-)