[dba-Tech] IE 10 might actually have it right

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Oct 5 12:36:50 CDT 2012

IE 10 may actually have done something right but given the explosion from
various ad agencies and advertisers, Microsoft may have to unset their "Do
Not Track", DNT from being the default.

Most browsers already have such a setting, DNT, but it is optional.

Quote:

" ...Four of the five major browsers -- Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera
and Safari -- can send a DNT signal. Google has pledged that Chrome will
support DNT by year's end.

"When presented as a default 'on,' by design Microsoft is no longer creating
a choice of whether or not data about consumers will be tracked," the
Association of National Advertisers' letter continued. "Rather, Microsoft
appears determined to stop the collection of Web viewing data. That is
unacceptable." "

It seems that we may have a choice as to whether we want to be a product or
not. As we web surfers are such a valuable commodity, will data collection
be really blocked by the DNT settings or will that just be a "feel good"
option for us users.