[dba-Tech] Javascript list

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 17:28:43 CDT 2012

People interested in web development are turning increasingly to
Javascript, and this turn in part reflects a more general turn away from
server-side scripting and toward client-side scripting. This is NOT the
same as saying that all the logic of a web app leaves the BE and becomes
part of the FE, which impression you might get even upon reading the name
of the most popular Javascript library, jQuery. I admit that I was one of
those dismissers. As soon as I heard that word, I assumed that jQuery was
some sort of front end for SQL -- and it is that, but I soon learned that
there exists a wealth of wonderful things that jQuery can do that have
nothing at all with SQL queries. What Javascript (hereinafter JS) is really
about is modifying the data (page) returned by the web server.

There are two other JS libraries of immediate relevance, jQuery UI and
jQuery Mobiles, the former providing some way kewl UI controls and the
latter able to deal with various mobile platforms, abstracting away their
differences so you can write once and deploy everywhere.

I propose that we open a new list on our beloved site, devoted to all
things concerning Javascript, jQuery, JSON (Javascript Object Notation) and
related stuff.

--
Arthur
Cell: 647.710.1314

Prediction is difficult, especially of the future.
  -- Niels Bohr