[dba-Tech] Windows Roaming Profiles

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Mon Oct 22 10:57:37 CDT 2012

Thanks Jim! I'll give it a try.

-----Original Message-----
From: dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Jim Lawrence
Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2012 12:33 AM
To: 'Discussion of Hardware and Software issues'
Subject: Re: [dba-Tech] Windows Roaming Profiles

There might be a way to do roaming profiles without a server but I have
never done so or read any documentation that says it is possible.

It used to be able to be done with windows workgroups but that was many
years ago.

It may not be possible in a workgroup scenario as in order for profiles to
work they have to be centrally located; this predisposes a server and
stations just can not work as servers...we all know how unstable
pass-through printing works and profiles are so much more complicated.

What I would do is get simple PC, install your favourite distro of Linux on
it and make one user for each user on the network and create and redirect
their user directories to the Linux box. It would have the advantage of
being low cost, everyone would get their "roaming profiles" and running on a
station, that runs like a server with full multi-user and multi-tasking.

You can then redirect the local document and desktop folder search to point
to the Linux station, something like the following.
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1409/move-your-documents-and-settings-usernam
e-profile-off-of-the-c-drive/
Note that the Linux (Ubuntu) station/server must be running when setting up.