[dba-Tech] Bitcoins

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Wed Apr 10 20:52:47 CDT 2013

Hi Jim,

Actually, I'm fairly sure this was actually part of the design and was an intended consequence. You see, BitCoins were designed to be a finite resource. The whole mathematics behind BitCoins imposes a limit of how many BitCoins can _ever_ be mined and the cost of mining them gets more and more expensive as you need more powerful computers to come up with a specific hash that translate to BitCoins. We are already seeing the cost of mining BitCoins shoot up astronomically. Eventually, there will be a date in the near future where by every possible BitCoin has been mined.

It this point, the price of a BitCoin can only be determined by the buying and selling of BitCoins at an exchange. And that's where this experiment gets interesting, because the whole idea behind BitCoin was to make it an unregulated currency. Only buyers and sellers determine the value of a BitCoin. It is not possible for the Federal Reserve or Bank of England or whomever to print more BitCoins in order the deflate the value of the BitCoin or have any sort of influence over the economy via monetary policy by doing so (hence no inflation!).

To be honest, the whole concept of BitCoins is an attempt to bring us back to an electronic version of the gold standard. From that point of view, it will be a failure.

- Hans