[dba-Tech] Hardware, Overclocking and Underclocking Machines

Mark Breen marklbreen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 17:51:15 CDT 2013

Hi all ,

@Mr Bartlow, just to be honest, I do not have a total score of 8.3, my
graphics card reduces the total score but I am ignoring that as I do not
play games.  The Proc and Ram and disk are what us guys are concerned
about.  But yes, 8.3 is nice to have.  More to the point, it is easy to
achieve.  No expensive hardware here.  Plain Jane i7, standard Mobo and 15
euro cooler.  Thanks for noting me, I am a little chuffed :)

@ Mr Tydda, yes, the drives can be noisy, but once you remove them you then
hear the PSU and the CPU cooler.  With the cover off, I do not need even a
12 cm fan.  The machine stays cool enough with no fans at all.

@ Mr McLachlan, I had the Corasir water cooling kit installed in the noisy
machine, but with a radiator, you need a fan to blow air through it.  You
would be surprised how quickly the rad heats up without a fan.  And
strangely enough, the air blowing through the radiator is more noisy than a
regular fan on a passive heat sink.  Also, incidentally, the cooling from a
good passive cpu cooler with a slow fan is as good or better than the water
cooling setup I have here.