[dba-Tech] Can Microsoft just let go for a moment?

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Dec 17 18:45:46 CST 2013

Hi Gustav:

I can hardly speak as a expert on Windows licensing. My understanding is that it is complex to say the least. When I was working full-time, my clients were either government or larger companies and they bought site licenses and for my own use I bought a yearly tech account (I understand that has gone away now(?)).

Maybe you can give some of your experiences and costs in deploying a Hyper-V server with 15 to 20 (KVMs (?)) using various platforms. Does each virtual drive, require a complement of products, depending on the service provided, need to be separately licensing, charges according to the number of concurrent users or is there a site license or VD license available?

Do you have any estimates of costs? Does Microsoft have a strategy like Docker with its "Containers" and be able to be as easy to deployed or are there additional licensing issues?

Aside: Microsoft paid a large amount of money towards Linux development, especially in OpenSuse, from which Docker, Mono, the Linux version of Visual .Net Studio and Hyper-V was fully developed.