[dba-Tech] Can Microsoft just let go for a moment?

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Wed Dec 18 03:09:23 CST 2013

Hi Jim

I can't tell. By principle I refuse to join courses in licensing, because if
licensing is so difficult that it requires a full day training course to
understand, it is - per definition - too complicated.

Thus, for clients requesting licenses from MS, Adobe, Symantec (luckily we
don't have Oracle clients), I simply call the distributor's licensing people
with the details and receive within an hour a detailed quotation. It is for
a reason that the distributors have a handful of fulltime experts employed,
and that expertise you cannot match. And should they fail, you can tell the
client or supplier that you utilize the license team's knowledge to avoid
having the responsibility for the client's licensing.
Add to this circus that the competition in selling licenses is very strong,
thus the profit is only a few percent. It isn't worth the trouble to deal
with.

Even though I would be glad to help, it probably wouldn't be of much value,
as the rules at your place might be different from those in force here.

However, it is my understanding that the Hyper-V Server 2012 (R2) is
absolutely free to use. It beats the free offering from VMware by a
magnitude in every aspect.
The only limitation is, that for remote administration the R2 requires a
Windows 8.1 Workstation or Windows Server 2012 R2 for the admin tool. The
former non-R2 can use Windows 7+ or Windows Server 2012+. It is a great
product - comes with bare metal recovery, a basic SMB file server, joins AD
at a snap, and can handle all the drives and VM you can stuff into the
physical machine.

/gustav