[dba-Tech] http://dromaeo.com/?jslib etc. - IE10 and Chrome 24 javascript testw results

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Sat Feb 2 13:01:43 CST 2013

> I don't care that much how impartial the tests are - after all they made for Mozilla and I've tested IE and Chrome - may I assume the tests are impartial? I suppose I may....
>
> And it doesn't matter for me that IE 10 runs better than Chrome 24 (or Safari)  or not - AFAIS IE 10 is not bad at all for everyday tasks - am I missing something?

It matters because many browsers are implemented differently, but they are all trying to work well enough with the same standard. If a test is designed to work best with your browser (and another one happens to work ok with, but not all of them), then you are testing a non-standard feature. The only thing that has been proven is that Internet Explorer 10 is more compatible with Mozilla Firefox, if you catch my drift. :)

> Out of just sport interests I'd be curious to run really impartial Javascript tests on IE10 and compare them with Chrome and Safari - what such tests could be IYO?

These days, performance is pretty decent across all browsers, so it really doesn't matter at all. The only ones who care are the companies/teams behind the browsers, so when searching for any decent javascript benchmarking sites, you will come across one from microsoft, one from mozilla, one from google, etc.

If you want an impartial test, I might suggest this one:
http://peacekeeper.futuremark.com/

Futuremark is a company which builds benchmarking software (originally for 3D graphics cards). I would trust them a lot more than I would trust a benchmark from any of the above companies.

Another one is: http://www.speed-battle.com/

SunSpider is another, although it is a little questionable about how impartial it is, at least it's not as biased as the others you pointed out and can be included in the data.

- Hans