[dba-Tech] Relational v NoSQL

Peter Brawley peter.brawley at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 9 14:18:09 CST 2013

On 2013-02-09 12:15 PM, Hans-Christian Andersen wrote:

>> So far, Oracle has MariaDB developers running as fast as they can just to avoid falling further behind.
> As far as I can tell, MariaDB provides more advanced features than stock open-source MySQL does, so I'm not sure what you mean by this?

MariaDB is running weeks to months behind MySQL 5.5, and isn't even
trying yet for compatibility with much of the new stuff in MySQL 5.6
(http://dev.mysql.com/doc/relnotes/mysql/5.6/en/).

>>> I predict will be a long while before MySQL disappears from the landscape as MySQL has such an advantage being a very well known and established product.
>> It's a web hosting staple, so it won't go away till there are fundamental changes in that technology.
> To be honest, I think it is a lot simpler than this. Since most of these shared hosting services are based on Linux, I think the migration to MariaDB really comes down to whether their Linux distribution of choice includes MariaDB in their package manager and how long it takes for these hosting providers to keep up to date with the latest versions of their Linux distributions and software packages.

If your business depends on websites that use MySQL, what business
problem would you solve by migrating to MariaDB? In most cases, I think
the answer is "none".

For that situation to change, it seems to me, (i) Oracle will have to
commit a major gaffe with the community edition of MySQL, and (ii) a
majority of hosting providers will have to provide strictly comparable
versions of MariaDb plus simple tools for seamless migration.

I'm not betting against [i]. I just notice it hasn't happened yet.

PB

-----