[dba-Tech] Relational v NoSQL

Peter Brawley peter.brawley at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 9 17:17:55 CST 2013

On 2013-02-09 2:31 PM, Hans-Christian Andersen wrote:

> I don't know if you have read MariaDB's change log:
>
> http://blog.mariadb.org/what-does-mariadb-10-0-1-include-available-now/
>

> There are far more new features in MariaDB than there is in MySQL (and
> many of those are eventually ported into MySQL). I would have to say
> that the biggest new feature of MySQL 5.6 is a MemCache-like API
> interface to MySQL interface, which I personally think is solving a
> problem nobody has. The only person this is useful to is a person
> using a shared hosting service that doesn't have MemCache installed,
> but most shared hosting services will take many many years before they
> upgrade to MySQL 5.6.

My hosting providers went to 5.5 soon after its general release.

> And, if you manage your own servers, you are far better off just
> installing MemCache.
>
> Other than that, it's just performance improvements.

No, there's a lot of stuff listed at
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/relnotes/mysql/5.6/en/.

And again, for whether or when MariaDB will supplant MySQL, I don't
dounbt Monty's team is doing good things with MariaDB. The question's
when there'll be enough hosting providers offering MariaDB-MySQL
interchangeability to support a large exodus from MySQL, and whether
there's a compelling business reason for many people who depend on MySQL
to switch to MariaDB.

PB

-----

However, if you look at what the MariaDB folks have been doing (and how
much of it gets ported back into MySQL), I would have to say the flow of
keeping up-to-date is in the other direction!

- Hans

On 2013-02-09, at 12:18 PM, Peter Brawley <peter.brawley at earthlink.net

On 2013-02-09 12:15 PM, Hans-Christian Andersen wrote:

>> So far, Oracle has MariaDB developers running as fast as they can
>> just to avoid falling further behind.
> As far as I can tell, MariaDB provides more advanced features than
> stock open-source MySQL does, so I'm not sure what you mean by this?

MariaDB is running weeks to months behind MySQL 5.5, and isn't even
trying yet for compatibility with much of the new stuff in MySQL 5.6
(http://dev.mysql.com/doc/relnotes/mysql/5.6/en/).

>>> I predict will be a long while before MySQL disappears from the
>>> landscape as MySQL has such an advantage being a very well known and
>>> established product.
>> It's a web hosting staple, so it won't go away till there are
>> fundamental changes in that technology.
> To be honest, I think it is a lot simpler than this. Since most of
> these shared hosting services are based on Linux, I think the
> migration to MariaDB really comes down to whether their Linux
> distribution of choice includes MariaDB in their package manager and
> how long it takes for these hosting providers to keep up to date with
> the latest versions of their Linux distributions and software packages.

If your business depends on websites that use MySQL, what business
problem would you solve by migrating to MariaDB? In most cases, I think
the answer is "none".

For that situation to change, it seems to me, (i) Oracle will have to
commit a major gaffe with the community edition of MySQL, and (ii) a
majority of hosting providers will have to provide strictly comparable
versions of MariaDb plus simple tools for seamless migration.

I'm not betting against [i]. I just notice it hasn't happened yet.

PB

-----