[dba-Tech] The Windows Surface Pro

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Sun Feb 10 15:43:00 CST 2013

Hi Hans

Not quite sure what staunch is supposed to mean in this context. I have worked with Novell products since NetWare 2.0 and ArcNet - before network was a known word in the MS world.
With NetWare 3.x you still had to compile the OS - yes, from the setup floppies you defined the hardware drivers, IRQs, ports, etc. and, as the last step, compiled a single exe, the NOS, which the server launched. Change a NIC or an IRQ? Adjust and compile again. Updates were patches that were downloaded from Bulletin Boards and actually modified the existing exe-files.

We still have a NetWare 6.5 server running in its 10th year to host our GroupWise mail server.
However, running NetWare for file and print services became more and more difficult. Linux servers lacked completely the directory services like that of Novell and later Windows Active Directory.
So when new file and print servers had to be installed with a directory service, we looked at Windows. First we looked at our clients. Most ran Windows Servers and they ran rock steady. We obtained the MAPS, Microsoft Action Pack which lets a small organisation as ours fly for about USD 500 per year. Nothing beats this. For more than a year we experimented with OpenFiler, Solaris, and other Xnix type servers with poor results, and since then we haven't looked back. Time is too short.

Next step is to swap our GroupWise with Exchange and its superior Web Access. I know, lots of mail servers out there, but why go for less when it is included in the MAPS package.

Like most others I'm quite dissapointed with the route Access followed. However, it made me turn to Visual Studio and C# which was an eye-opener. Actually, it brought back the fun part of programming to me. What could be more important.

Regarding Windows (Phone) 8 is where you may have a point. As part of the minority that recognize and understand the craftmanship and perspective of the Metro interface, I'm convinced this will be big. Time will show.

/gustav

Воскресенье, 10 февраля 2013, 6:08 -08:00 от Hans-Christian Andersen

.. it seems to me that yourself and Gustav are certainly two of the most staunch supporters of IE and Microsoft in general. Would that be a fair assessment? :)