[dba-Tech] "Intelligent" candles

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Tue Feb 12 17:53:53 CST 2013

Well, that's the way  most of them are made, i.e.

http://www.gadgetepoint.co.uk/prod-magic-candle-real-wax-colour-changing-candle.php

The Magic Candle is an actual candle, with no batteries involved. The secret is its modern
microelectronic technology. Next to the wick inside is an optical fiber that senses the light of
the flame and activates the LED colour bulbs.

http://aladdiescave.com.au/index.php?act=viewDoc&docId=11

Modern microelectronic technology allows the candle to emit a rainbow of constantly
changing colours throughout the interior of the candle without dangerous, toxic dyes,
chemicals or paints.

The clever power scource is an environmentally friendly LED battery that can power the
candle for more than 25 hours

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_air_wick_colour_changing_candles_work

Infrared light. There is an electronic kit at the bottom of the glass with and LED light on it
which gives the illumination of colors. It is activated by infrared light. Infrared light, along with
visible light, is given off by flames and incandescent light bulbs.

http://www.airwick.co.uk/faqs-colour-change-candle.php

How safe is my candle when you have batteries & electronics located in the base?

The candle is completely safe it has been thoroughly tested. The batteries & electronics are
housed in a separate compartment that is not in contact with the flame or heat.

However:  A google for "thermochromic candle wax" throws up quite a few patents such as:

http://www.google.com/patents/EP1090977A2?cl=en
The invention concerns a candle wherein the main body comprises (a) a solid combustible
matrix, which may be a conventional wax or a solid clear gel formulation, and (b) a reversible
color changing composition, preferably a thermochromic or photochromic composition, the
components (a) and (b) preferably forming a homogeneous mixture.
[0011] Upon lighting, the light or heat given off by the flame causes the reversible color
changing composition contained in the main body to change in color, to loose color, or to
become colored, at least in the area nearest the flame.