[dba-Tech] FYI: Microsoft's 128GB Surface Pro Sells Out At MS Online Store Just Hours After Launch

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Feb 13 15:25:13 CST 2013

Hi Shamil:

What you have stated is very true. One tech can not be the best at all
disciplines.

But I do feel that one tech should have a good understanding of the
available options and solutions. There is never one solution to a problem
but many and any number would produce adequate results. That Awareness is
what is most important.

Like a carpenter, who can builds a house but must be aware of the
requirements of the plumber, electrician, mason, roofer, etc...

Modern companies when they hire a new tech are not so much concerned with
what the tech knows but their ability to learn new technologies and apply
them. Every company knows that within ten years everything that tech
initially arrived with will be gone or changed to the point of being
unrecognizable.

And this leads into another good point you brought up; "Standards". This is
most important or the industry, or just the company that refuses to adapt,
will be gone, in but a few years.

One comment that I do not fully agree with is the concept that there is,
"the right tool for the right job". In this industry there are many tools,
for every job and each can produce, in the right hands, the required
results.

As I have said before., "I know many more dead-languages than I know live
ones."...and that list is getting longer every day. So forgive my lack of
loyalty to any company or product; my only loyalty should be to the client.