[dba-Tech] FYI: Moving to "nirvana": if Microsoft were to shift to WebKit, you can thank Opera.

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Fri Feb 15 14:43:40 CST 2013

 Hi Jim --

<<<
The downside is being limited to a single platform.

Sorry, but modern desktop, mobile and web FE apps could have their (web) services *core* parts/components running on several servers operating under different OSes anywhere in this small world with desktop app being an MS Windows one, mobile app being iPhone, Android and/or WinPhone, ... one and web app being ASP.NET or PHP or Ruby or Python or .... ones...

<<<
"Write once, run everywhere" has been the Holy Grail of the computing
community since the beginning of computers...

It's obsolete now I suppose - I mean it was a false goal of the past, false because as it happened it can never be achieved - and that is good news IMO - no need to waste valuable resources "hunting for ghost goals"...

<<<
... whether we have reached that
capability or even are coming close, is a point of much debate.

Yes, debates will continue anyway :)

Thank you.

-- Shamil

Пятница, 15 февраля 2013, 12:11 -08:00 от "Jim Lawrence" <accessd at shaw.ca>:
>Hi Shamil:
>
>You are right of course that no matter what the changes are, now and in the
>future for computers there will always have a requirement for an OS to
>manage things.
>
>You are also right that it is always better to code at the lowest possible
>level as it results in a faster and smaller program. The downside is being
>limited to a single platform.
>
>The higher level the coding the more complex and therefore slower the
>performance. The upside is to an application is it being available on
>multiple platforms.
>
>"Write once, run everywhere" has been the Holy Grail of the computing
>community since the beginning of computers and whether we have reached that
>capability or even are coming close, is a point of much debate.
>
>Jim
<<< skipped >>>