[dba-Tech] FYI: Moving to "nirvana": if Microsoft were to shift to WebKit, you can thank Opera.

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Feb 18 11:31:04 CST 2013

Hi Guys:

I was reading the following article a few days ago and it was posted as a
objective view to webkit. It may be an appropriate time to post it here:

http://robertnyman.com/2013/02/14/webkit-an-objective-view/

As discussed in the article, Webkit is far from stable or standardized and
it might as easily fork one direction or the other at any time.

The interesting thing to note is that no one owns webkit. In fact it is a
completely Open Source project in which many companies and individuals
contribute.

Aside: It can be noted that Microsoft has contributed resources, at least in
the past and some programmers who either work or have worked for MS are
working on the project now. OSS is the driving force of the computer
industries' creative advancement and proprietary software companies'
resources keep OSS flourishing. IMHO it is all part of the over-all uneasy
alliance between the world proprietary software and OSS world. One can not
grow without the other.