[dba-Tech] OT: A big day

Gary Kjos garykjos at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 11:11:10 CST 2013

Hi Gustav,

Yes Lossless will take up a lot of space but the price of disk has
come down over the years. I've only got about 500 CD's and maybe 400
vinyl disks in my collection.  But many of my favorite vinyl disks I
also have in CD form. I have digitized a few of the LP's I couldn't
find on CD and while it's better than not having them in digital form,
it is pretty time consuming and takes a fair amount of effort. So I've
not done a wholesale import on the vinyl. I've got a single terabyte
drive I've dedicated to the music and that seems to have plenty of
space for what I need for the foreseeable future.   My biggest concern
right now is that the PC I use for storing the music is making too
much noise. I'm not sure if it's the power supply fan or the main case
fan but it's making more sound than i like. It's a 2004 vintage Dell
Dimension and so isn't the fastest machine either although that really
doesn't hinder anything excepting the boot time for the most part. So
I am currently researching parts to build a new system that will be
quieter. I've seen a couple cases that have the look of other stereo
equipment and may go that route.

All it takes is time and money.  Both are hard to come by though.
Once we get through the winter here, time in particular becomes real
problem for me.

GK