[dba-Tech] Repairing the Surface Pro

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Feb 24 10:47:08 CST 2013

Hi Hans:

This is all in theory of course as I have never had to repair a cell phone.
Being that they have always been under contract, the provider owns the phone
until the end of the contract, parts are not easily available to the general
public, there are no moving parts so your phone is unlikely to break and the
only things that can be exchanged (or repaired) are as you say the SIM card
and battery.

Laptops are different though but the bottom end ones are so cheap that the
parts are as expensive as a new unit.

It is that I have a fundamental dislike for just throwing things out that
are still working fine or need simple repairs and are capable of doing just
what you need.

I am in the process of upgrading an old server (also an old PC), probably in
two to three weeks, that in less than twelve months, will be 15 years old.
Considering that it has basically ran 24x7 for the entire duration, its not
bad (It wasn't even running Linux only an early edition of Win2000 (1998)
first and is now currently running Server2003 enterprise edition). Then
there is a very old PC, running with junk parts from the 90s and can still
run as a server if necessary... Debian Linux I believe. ;-) I have also kept
many client computers running for as long as ten years and then there is the
record, last year, when a client brought in a running Dell (from the time
when they still made real computers), with all the original parts and the
label on the back that read 1990. I have asked the fellow to give the box to
me instead of chucking it out as I would love to try and stuff an
over-clocked server into that box...a friend has access to a two year old
ASUS G74SX laptop mother board with a i7-Intel CPU (6 core), 8GB of RAM...
;-)