[dba-Tech] Linux vs Windows

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 10 12:46:05 CST 2013

There is another thing that you can do with a Ubuntu Linux desktop.

Run it up on one computer. When you are satisfied that you have all the
products you want installed pull the boot harddrive and install it in
another computer, in some other office. It will immediately search for the
web and start downloading drivers, finding local computers and printers (the
SMB will need tweaking if installed on a different network but nothing
major). Try that with a Windows install, if it works(?) a few calls to MS
will be required. ;-)

The latest version of Linux 3,x runs on all CPUs, 32/64/ARM (auto-detect)
but it will probably be a year before it is incorporated in all Linux
distros. The downside is that you will loss support for your 385SX.