[dba-Tech] Apps for Linux? (was: Linux vs Windows)

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 10 12:51:45 CST 2013

Good summary Arthur.

From: dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Arthur Fuller
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2013 8:00 AM
To: Discussion of Hardware and Software issues
Subject: Re: [dba-Tech] Apps for Linux? (was: Linux vs Windows)

Apps for Linux...

Open Office or OfficeLibre give you everything Office does except Access.
There is Open Office Base but it's nowhere near as powerful as is Access.
In terms of #.Net, there is the Mono project and its C# compiler. In terms
of SQL Server, you have MySQL Oracle Express, PostGres and a few NoSQL
entries. As regards a front end for MySQL or other databases, the most
common approach is PHP + Apache, but Ruby on Rails is also very popular; so
is Python. See also our (Peter's and my) TheUsual.php (available from our
web site (artfulsoftware.com). For typical db admin stuff, there are
SQLBench and phpAdmin. And not to forget Tcl/Tk for designing GUIs. Perl is
pretty much history.

Arthur