[dba-Tech] FYI: "Microsoft may still win the tablet war" and other mobile market news directly related to MS technologies...

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Fri Jan 11 04:23:39 CST 2013

One can easily punch holes in each of those articles. The majority of chatter that I hear from tech insiders these days are expecting the demise of Nokia and that Microsoft will drop Windows  RT tablets due to poor sales as early as the end of this year. There is more negative press than positive, as far as I can tell (like with Vista).

To be honest, Microsoft always has the leverage of being a monopoly for so many years. Many people will be in the situation of buying a Windows 8 laptop, because they don't know what else to buy. I think this will be a watershed year, where we will truly see whether Microsofts strategy is genius or suicide.

Whether Windows 8 is best described as this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDpwKiRKmZc

or as this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79nvj90cwmk

Some people have suggested that Windows 8 is a conspiracy to get everyone to adopt Windows 9 when it arrives, just as everyone did with Windows 7 over Vista. That's a bit too crazy for my taste though.

- Hans