[dba-Tech] Was: World Series Question, not Coin Toss Question

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 19:42:35 CST 2013

A few days back I posed a problem about the World Series of baseball, which
was this: Assume equal teams; for those unacquainted with baseball, the
World Series is a series of 7 games maximum; the winner is the first team
to win 4 games.

I should have known better than to pose the problem in terms of baseball,
since there are so many "external" factors. So let me re-pose the problem
in terms of coin-tosses. The winner is still the one who wins 4 tosses.
Suppose I win the first toss. What is the probability that you will win the
series?

--
Arthur
Cell: 647.710.1314

Prediction is difficult, especially of the future.
  -- Niels Bohr