[dba-Tech] PCs are here to stay

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Tue Jan 15 04:48:25 CST 2013

 Hi Hans --

"Kicking the can down the road" ;) BTW, the local equivalent would be an idiomatic expression sounding in English as "pigeonhole". We don't have the cans to kick down the roads or roads are not so good here and are mainly flat so managing to kick the cans down far enough would require quite some efforts :)

No, (I hope) I personally don't (pigeonhole).

As I have noted in parallel to my everyday development work, which is mainly desktop and web services Windows apps, I'm also learning the new technologies (via PluralSight, tech. books , articles etc.) with HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Knockout, SPA, RESTful web services, multi-platform mobile apps being "the main targets". And all that "main targets" can be achieved using Win7/Win8, Visual Studio 2012, SQL Server (Express) and relatively inexpensive but effective enough IIS-based Web hosting...

You know I have worked with many information media, technologies and programming languages starting with punch tapes and cards, mainframes, minicomputers, macro-assemblers, PL/I, C, C++, Pascal,... used to use command line (in RSX-11M/PDP-11) quite a lot, patched RSX-11M core to get my system utilities to work... - and currently I and my customers are satisfied with MS Windows and Windows-based custom software development is that desktop or web services or web sites...

Let's get back to this thread subject in January 2014?

-- Shamil