[dba-Tech] PCs are here to stay

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Wed Jan 16 13:45:00 CST 2013

Ward Cunningham can call it what he likes. In my opinion, calling it a "possessor" rather than a "server" is just a way of describing of how your data is being handled and was a political statement by Ward. As far as I'm concerned, a server is a computer that provides a service or services in which one or more users interact with through a client of some sort and not directly (ie. monitor, keyboard and mouse). And all those servers (or possessors) need to run an operating system with a software stack on top.

> Please correct me if you think I'm wrong and you see that SMB servers role is in fact growing nowadays. (I'm putting corporate lan/wan servers out of my view as I'm not working for large business/corporations...)

I would argue it is growing, but, even if it weren't the case, why are we are only focusing here on SMB servers, when that is only a small fraction of what Linux servers do in this world?

> OK - this is why I proposed to "pigeonhole" discussing that stats till January 2014 when, I suppose, there will be no way for MS to publish "misleading" stats...

It is still curious that they would do that.

- Hans