[dba-Tech] Now that google apps is not free what do we do for cloud email

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Fri Jan 18 05:36:48 CST 2013

Hi Mark,

Ya, nr 4 is a problem if you don't want the overhead of maintaining the server, but, in all honesty, it is really quite reliable and a backup procedure is quite straightforward without much effort. I could give you a few tips on that if you are still interested.

Regarding clients, I personally just use the web interface, but my company uses Thunderbird for the most part. Outlook works just as well and any other client that supports IMAP, which should be most of them these days. Even Eudora supports IMAP. :p But the web interface works very well, is quite fast and the interface is polished and modern and so I just use that. It even has an optional template to look nearly identical to Gmail. :) Also, Zimbra does provide a native desktop client, which fully integrates with the Zimbra server as well along with the same look and feel. I can send you think link if that interests you.

Regarding spam, Zimbra uses spam assassin, which does quite a decent job of filtering spam and Zimbra does do adaptive learning and also allows you to set up filtering, etc. If not good enough, there are plenty of cheap 3rd party services that can do that for you as well at a minimal cost and difficulty, such as mailroute.net ... If you feel it is necessary!

I have to admit, Googles spam filtering is really quite remarkably good. Before switching to Google Apps, I used to route my personal email through Gmail and then have it forward to my primary account. It worked quite well, for such a round about set up, but I have since switched entirely to google apps for my personal email for a while now. I am also very annoyed about Googles recent change of heart.

But, if I had a spare server, I would definitely consider Zimbra. :)

Best regards,
Hans-Christian Andersen