[dba-Tech] Now that google apps is not free what do we do for cloud email

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Fri Jan 18 06:10:31 CST 2013

Hi Gustav,

I don't think there is a specific name for any software that does that anymore. ActiveSync was replaced by Windows Mobile Device Center, which was then replaced by Zune Software, which was then replaced by Windows Phone App. But, at this point, it seems to only be related to syncing of multimedia and not email.

Quoting from the wikipedia on Windows Phone App:
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Phone_App#Windows_Phone_App)
"The Windows Phone app succeeds Zune Software as a sync application to transfer music,  videos,  and other multimedia files between Windows Phone 8 and a Windows computer or tablet. A version for Mac OSX computers is also available.

Windows Phone does not support usual USB sync with Microsoft Outlook's Calendar,  Contacts,  Tasks and Notes as opposed to older versions of Windows Mobile with Desktop ActiveSync. Syncing Contacts and Appointments is done via a cloud-based service (Windows Live, Google, or Exchange Server) only. Microsoft provides no way to sync this personal information directly from a computer to a Windows Phone and back. Third party software,  such as Akruto Sync is required in order to sync personal information directly,  without relying on cloud-based services. A petition to Microsoft was filed to reinstate USB sync for Outlook."

So, it seems that Microsoft has somewhat baked whatever ActiveSync used to be directly into the OS and Exchange in a cloud like service (much like Apple and Google does it) and it no longer has a distinctness to merit a name.

Saying that, this seems highly proprietary to Windows Phone and most people do not have those (by a wide margin). It's all iPhones and Androids these days.

- Hans