[dba-Tech] database

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 13:46:41 CST 2013

The first question I'd ask, and doubtless you did, is, "How frequently will
the old data ever be needed?" And the followup, "How far back?" Presumably
the answer is a gradient, something like "the past five years, once a
month; the previous five years before that, once a quarter or year; and the
rest once in a blue moon."

My reasoning is this. I'd prefer (SQL licensing and version permitting) to
partition the tables across several hard disks, leaving only the past 5
years or so immediately accessible, and hitting the remote hard disks and
partitions only occasionally. This would sidestep the need for any
additional code or restore-procedures, etc. IIRC, this capability is
available only in the more expensive licensing agreements and versions,
which is why I asked about those.

Another take on this, with similar perspective, is based on the simple
notion that there is a "contemporary" window, beyond which data will never
change. That suggests a possible move of all that old data into an Analysis
Services database, which would be de-normalized and with all its counts and
sums all available in pre-calculated form. That would require some serious
space, but on the other hand, what in this business is cheaper than disk
space?

Arthur