[dba-Tech] Office 2013 Released Tomorrow (Jan. 29)

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Jan 28 18:54:45 CST 2013

Hi Rocky:

In for a penny, in for a pound.

Right now this model is being used on many Cloud based storage and
processing schemes. You pay for what you use and how much you use. But
previously there is a sliding usage fee.

This new offer seems to follow the same pattern as Cell phones where you
start off with a flat fee and then I am sure there is plus and plus for
additional users and usage.

Microsoft is predicting that businesses are entrenched to the use of MS
Office products that this change will make little difference. The cost of
the service must work out to a similar cost of someone purchasing a full
Office package. I am sure that there will be the standard model packages for
sale in the interim but I think they will be slowly phased out...

The clients that this will affect the most is the smaller offices who have
legally or illegally used a few Office packages in more than one place or
for more than one user. Now this can be carefully monitored through the
internet and the appropriate tolls and restrictions applied.

Google, started charging for their previously free service...probably in
anticipation of the MS move. There is also a move towards Cloud based
everything and those that do not in or can not connect in, could be dropped
as clients. Who wants clients who do not pay?

As you say, "...that's a market killer"...but for who. It seems that
suppliers have a tight monopoly. either use them of nothing at all. It is a
"Black Aggie" move...going for control.

Now there is a completely captive market with but one exception...

The OSS products like OpenOffice and Libra Office. I would suggest that all
users of these products, especially Libra Office place a small donation
towards these alternatives so they can be kept as option now and in the
future.