[dba-Tech] F#

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Jan 28 19:41:43 CST 2013

Hi Shamil:

I did some investigation and even install Erlang on my system. It is all big
data programming but to just set up a senario so that the software could be
really tested would have taken too long. You need to have two or three
servers just to play.

The whole concept of calling a function, giving a start and end range and it
just reciprocally calls itself, returning the value after the range is met
is very interesting. Everything runs as continually cycling batch file with
no other loop structures. Very heady stuff. I can see why these type of
languages work well for very large distributive database.

I agree that as a single developer this knowledge, the time requirements,
the hardware demands just to get up to speed is not a good use of valuable
time.

OTOH, IMHO, I do think it would be a bit of a waste of time and code to
implement the same functionality via C# when it can so easily be done via F#
but I will definitely review the articles and tutorials.