[dba-Tech] For web developers

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Tue Jan 29 17:48:40 CST 2013

I do not subscribe to this theory. I'm a big open source advocate, but I do not think its a good idea for open source to dominate the world. There is a role for proprietary software, which is to be the premium product that customers are willing to pay for. The point of open source is to be the counter balance to proprietary software, so that we so not end up with a monopoly situation, like we had with Microsoft and Oracle etc, because monopolies are highly inefficient and ends up stagnating, while trying to extract every last dime that it can. That is what corporations do. They can't help it. They have a fedutiary responsibility to make more money.

And that's why you need that counter balance, because what incentive do these companies then have to continue investing in R&D and making their products better once they have cornered the market?

If Apple does not continue to provide the best experience for consumers and stagnate, then people will switch over to the next best thing.

And, keep in mind that the open source world has its fiefdoms as well and is also prone to being used as a means to an end. Sure, android is open source, but google is not an open source company. They open sourced android as a means of getting market share, but don't ever expect them to open spice their search engine and google ads. ha!

- Hans