[dba-Tech] For web developers

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 30 11:43:00 CST 2013

Hi John:

I believe I was complaining about this eventuality some six years ago. At
the time it seemed like a bit of a fantasy and Orwellian by nature.

The new hardware is designed to lock-down systems to only a specific OS. A
new law that went into effect last Saturday makes it illegal to "jail-break"
a device. The law was apparent targeted towards Cell phones but the wording
is vague enough that any computer can be included.

" ...The UEFI secure boot feature checks the boot loader before launching it
to verify it's digitally signed by an approved vendor, like Microsoft.
Depending on the manufacturer, digital certificates for other vendors might
also be preloaded (or able to be manually loaded) so you can use a
third-party boot loader or install a non-Microsoft operating system. Though
there's controversy about this feature and it's still unclear exactly what
vendor certificates will be preloaded or even available for manual loading,
this feature can help secure booting for Windows and other OSes... "

You should note that the Windows 8 product key is stored in the UEFI chip
and once removed it will render your Windows 8 package uninstallable and
unusable. There is supposed to be a better system in the future but for now
the only way your computer can be reset require a certified Microsoft
technician via remote...I believe it costs to have this done... $300+ ???

I believe that if you power up your computer and almost immediately press
F12 you can then select to boot from DVD/USB but you are going to have to be
fast as the SSD chip is real quick.