[dba-Tech] It is time to dump MySQL - NOT

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Jul 12 12:57:19 CDT 2013

Hi Stuart and Peter:

I never concern myself with the appearance a product website. Being in the
OSS world I am quite use to seeing some of the worse websites ever built.
Many of these programmers have no concept of design and composition. I have
designed sites for many friends who previously had pages that harken back to
1995...but OTOH that does not imply the quality of products.

Stuart, if you look at your Basic application developers product source (the
name escapes me), assuming nothing has changed in their website's
appearance; true 2000 retro, most potential customers, drift by, forgetting
the product and even its name. The product developers may spend thousands on
development and it would only take a few hundred to bring their site up to
post 2010. ...And it would definitely increase their sales...but they appear
blissfully unaware of this fact, but maybe they are trying to make some sort
of statement.

When MariaDB is compared to MySQL its performance is better:

http://blog.mariadb.org/sysbench-oltp-mysql-5-6-vs-mariadb-10-0/

Traditionally, OSS products prove to be better, in the long run. (Linux
servers vs Microsoft servers) With the potential of thousands of developers,
products have a quick debugging and features cycle. Check out the
comparisons between OpenOffice, purchased by Oracle and the fork
LibraOffice. LibraOffice is pulling away in features, performance and
adoption.

On a personal note, I have worked with Oracle for many years and even though
their database is massively over-priced, their products tend to be very
good. Oracles' purchase of their chief competitor, MySQL was a huge coup.
The dynamics of Oracle and MySQL are polar opposites and Oracle is now
making MySQL just another mini-me. For myself, I find it sad to see the once
most used and loved database being converted and bleed of every possible
drop of blood...and if MySQL future profits, somehow do not live up to
expectations it will be unceremoniously dumped.

The truth is that not everyone will abandon MySQL...there will always be
dedicated supporters but all the leading edge, new age and startup companies
are dropping it and/or are slowly phasing out the product.