[dba-Tech] Installing WIndows 7 Backup

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Jul 24 09:07:47 CDT 2013

Hi Arthur:

I wish I could help you but I use another backup...to be honest I never knew Windows 7 had a backup; never even looked.

As it is just a station, for quick backups I have been dumping to a Cloud drive (GoogleDrive and the NSA may need to look at them), for more extensive backups I have been using ShadowCopy as it does a non intrusive backup while you work and finally, I use DriveImageXML, DIX which makes a image of the entire drive (if you use a DIX backup from a DVD it will do a complete drive copy, boot tracks and all), initially to a portable drive but finally to my main backup server. DIX is good in the case of a catastrophic failure as it can creates a one hundred percent image.

The reason I would not trust a Windows backup is because the backup is version (distro) dependent (DIX is self-contained (backup/restore/view) and is static), a full Windows backup does not backup all the files (it doesn't touch protected or running files), it presumes that your Windows is actually working and finally, I like being able, in the case of a full Drive-Image backup copy, being able to easily cherry-pick any file right out of the image file.

No major company would ever trust a Windows Backup system. I have seen Clonezilla being used as it can backup all systems, Mac, Linux and Windows and it can even run as a server controller for a network doing a full over-night backup, but it does take a bit of effort to setup and configure.

GoogleDrive (Mac/Windows): https://drive.google.com/#my-drive
ShadowCopy (Windows all recent versions): http://www.runtime.org/shadow-copy.htm
DriveImageXML (Windows all recent versions): http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm
Clonezella: (Everything): http://clonezilla.org/