[dba-Tech] W7 in 2GB RAM

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Sun Jul 28 01:13:30 CDT 2013

Hi Rocky

I have an old HP Pavilion zd8000 with Pentium 4 at 3 GHz and 2 GB of ram.
Actually, it was given a second life when I installed Win7 to replace the WinXP Home that came with it. Runs with Windows Experience at 3.7 limited by the 3D graphics. Processor is 3.9, and Aero and disk is 4.0.

WiFi connections is now a snap, and it can fall to sleep and open again in rather short time which is very practical with a laptop.

But graphics is limited. Don't expect to play video as most of the old onboard chips are outdated. Even drivers can be difficult to obtain. A had to cheet to get this old ATI Mobility Radeon X600 flying but it doesn't support the newer version of DirectX. Also Java feels a bit slow.

/gustav

>>> rockysmolin at bchacc.com 28-07-13 1:37 >>>
Can you run W7 in 2GB RAM?  I have a Dell Dimension 3100 - has a P$ at 3+GHz
but which maxes out at 2GB.  Running WXP.  Will it run unacceptable slowly
with only 2GB RAM?

TIA

Rocky