[dba-Tech] Start button coming back to Windows 8.1

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 4 14:43:54 CDT 2013

Hi Martin:

Can I assume that you will now be using the new MS barebones server Hyper-V
2012...free with basic interface. Another page right out of the Linux play
book.

The savings at the university will probably be about $2500 per server plus
connection licenses so in theory the saving could be half a millions or
more.

Traditionally, I have found very few servers in the universities,
governments or larger businesses being anything else but UNIX/Linux so you
must be a bit of a test-bed for Microsoft and therefore allows the
university to receive preferred rates.

In my younger years, it was annoying that there was no place for MS SQL
servers except within smaller government departments as our provincial and
federal governments were covered by a one hundred percent Oracle site
license and therefore all servers were UNIX/Linux. I doubt whether things
have changed since then.