[dba-Tech] Skeuomorphic UIs are dead? Apple to follow MS Win8 UI design principles with iOS7?

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Tue Jun 11 02:14:24 CDT 2013

I found the design changes the most disappointing aspect of the whole thing. All the new features and technology are really great and exciting, but the design feels like a bit of a step back rather than a step forward. First of all, while it's not fully Metro, is still obviously of the same inspiration (I don't know if Ive was inspired by Metro - it seems more the case to me that it's more of an inspiration by a design aesthetic/movement, like Bang and Olufsen etc...) - and, to be honest, I've always said that the Metro UI works really well for a small phone (it's not as nice on a tablet and it's absolutely wrong for a laptop or pc).

But I have a huge problem with these flat interfaces. It's a lot harder to know what app you are in or the context of the app without all the extra visual cues. Flat interfaces just simply present data and that's all you have to go by - like navigating your life through a series of spreadsheets. While I can appreciate that Ive is showing his love for Scandinavian "Bang and Olufsen" minimalism, it only truly works well on a device with limited functionality.

So, I'm not totally bowled over by this, but, fortunately, Apple didn't go full Metro (you never go full Metro).

I might be able to live with it... I hope so, but I'll just have to try it first.

- Hans