[dba-Tech] Migration to Linux

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 11 10:13:37 CDT 2013

Hi Shamil

It is much more than that, especially here.

A young computer graduate, had better be well versed in whole technology
sphere if he or she is planning to make a career of it. It was not more than
ten years ago that anyone could just become an expert in the world of
Microsoft and they were guaranteed longterm employment. That is not the way
it is today. A new tech had better know the internet, all the related
development tools and the main operating systems. Microsoft is only a part
(30 percent or less) of the new environment and a shrinking one at that.

As for "solid" and reliable or playing it safe, I would find great
difficulty in stating one environment or product is more stable than the
other.

Aside: the thing that makes this trend amusing is that living so close to
Redmond, Washington, the sales people here have had great difficulty holding
on to their major clients like governments and big businesses. Obviously the
MS sales teams in both Denmark and Russia have been superior in retaining
their core clients.