[dba-Tech] Skeuomorphic UIs are dead? Apple to follow MS Win8UI design principles with iOS7?

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 23:10:30 CDT 2013

Time to ask for help. How can I best revert my sister's laptop back to
Windows 7? I have an installation disk and she has no data on her disc
worth keeping, other than possibly the list of her favorite web sites. She
does everything else in the cloud.

I'm guessing that I could cold-boot the laptop with my Win7 OEM disc or
several Windoes-repair discs, then format/erase the disc and then install
Windows Home and then re-install everything. But I have read about various
methods of restoring a W8 box to a W7 look.

I hate the tiles. Complaint #1: why are the tiles so huge? (Which is kind
of bizarre since my eyes are failing, due to my age, but still, the trad
Win7 desktop looks way better IMHO.)  I want a Start Button and taskbar
back.I vaguely recall reading about some software than can do that to Win8.

I guess that this new UI appeals to some people, but I and more importantly
my friend whose fancy Dell laptop currently resides on my desk, object
profoundly, So, here is the situation in brief.

It's a brand-new Dell with Windows 8 installed.
I want to fry the disk and then install Windows 7 (She;s afraid to move to
Ubuntu; I can't imagine why, since her use of various apps other than
word-processing and email is almost nil, but that is another discussion,
but I will say before departing this subject that if that's the extent of
your computer usage, why the hell would you stick with Windows? This makes
no sense to me at all. However, she is my best friend and so I must take my
footsteps carefully, so as not to ruffle feathers.

The bottom line is this: she has a fancy new Dell laptop whose boot OS is
Windows 8. She wishes to change that. Our alternatives, as I see them, are
these:

a) fry the drive and then boot from my Win7 OEM disk and install.
b) try a dual-boot installation.
c) install Ubuntu and implicently fry the drive, which contains no data
worth preserving,]

Given her extremely small list of necessities (email, docs and photos), I
can see no justification for sticking with Windows. My recommendation is to
fry the disc and switch to either Mint or Ubuntu. I don't mean to slight
the offerings by RedHat, which is pretty clearly offered to professionals
not amateurs.

In summary:

I would like to fry the current OS installation and introduce a another,
Linux-based one such as Ubuntu.
I would also like to undo everything that I did in Step 1, should disasters
occur.
She has virtually nothing of personal value on her laptop, except her email
and its treacking record, so it is perfectly ok to fry the drive and start
from Square One. She even has the original Install Disk and I have the
printed User Guide in hand.
There is no data worth saving.
So, how should I proceed? Without a little expert advice, I am ill-prepared
to proceed. But that's why I so value this newsgroup.I am 110 % confident
that someone here can guide me to a solution.

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Hans-Christian Andersen <
hans.andersen at phulse.com> wrote:

> You speak the truth. I can't even name a single person I know who runs
> Windows 8 even. Only one guy at work who has it in virtual machine and he
> dislikes it. To be fair though, he's a Linux geek.
>
> - Hans
>

> On 2013-06-11, at 8:51 AM, "Jim Lawrence" <accessd at shaw.ca> wrote:
>
> > Hi Hans:
> >
> > The whole problem with the Metro UI was that it was installed on the PC.
> That was not the environment for it. Phone definitely and tablet maybe but
> not the PC.
> >
> > IMHO one UI for everything is just plain silly. Most users of Windows8,
> just switch to the old UI and continue working which just makes Metro a
> waste as far as a PC is concerned.
> >
> > Jim

Arthur
Cell: 647.710.1314

Prediction is difficult, especially of the future.
  -- Niels Bohr