[dba-Tech] New Windows 8

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Jun 26 12:15:33 CDT 2013

Yesterday, I was in the shop of a friend and had just walked past a new PC
running Windows 7.

At least that is what I thought it was. It turned out to be the new Windows
8.1 and except for some slight changes to screen images and background you
would not be able to tell the difference. Even when this version of Windows
boots it goes straight to the Win7/8 opening page.

The only sure change is the "start" button icon at the lower left of the
screen...the little white new windows trapezoid. When wandering around the
various sections much of the layout is pretty standard stuff except for the
use of the new san serif font everywhere.

I for one salute the move. If my quick cursory observation is the new
standard I would think Microsoft has decided to get back in the game and
make a fight of it rather than be replaced by Android/Linux.