[dba-Tech] New Windows 8

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 27 17:16:05 CDT 2013

Hi Gustav:

You are talking like a programmer and not like a user. Think super simple,
as any impediment, no matter how small and a user is not buying.

This is like any web site. The rule is five seconds or gone. The theory
behind the rule, is if a surfer does not make sense of a site in five
seconds they move on. Ten years ago when I was taking a E-Commerce course,
and Amazon was held up as a sample of how to build a site.

Everything was perfectly laid out so the eye followed easily from one
operation to another. Ever wonder why the search bar is nearly always on top
right? Then take the Apple computer. It is more expensive, no more reliable
and in reality no better than a similarly priced product.

Then you have to ask yourself, why do they sell? The answer is simple; their
layout is nearly perfect. Just being pretty doesn't sell. It is all to do
with proportions, style, understandability... No pure computer geek could
have ever designed the Apple interface; it took a real artist. The fact is
that Steve Jobs was not a programmer but he was a true artist. Style always
wins over substance. Think actors...they are just good looking, stylist
promoters and salesmen and they make fortunes just looking good.

Win8, might have great features and a strikingly new interface but it failed
on looking good and being easy (obvious) to use. What Microsoft needed was a
real artist, like Steve Jobs (not that I am promotion Apple but I can not
but admire the artist.)

There are millions of Artists, many are very good artists, in the world but
only a small few really great artists. These masters hang in our galleries
and are admired by all. What makes these artists renderings so admired? Near
perfect balance of colour, texture, composition, shadow and light, of
execution and whether a person conscientiously realizes it, they are drawn
towards the works of these masters.

Microsoft has the money and the will to succeed but they just do not
understand how important the simplicity, the design and the composition of a
product is. Win8.1 is just the admission that it is back to the drawing
board and the need for a tactical retreat for Steven Ballmer's Microsoft.

Maybe, Win9 will be the new turn point and MS will then have a GUI built by
a master artist.