[dba-Tech] Your own personal Cloud

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Sat Mar 9 11:45:33 CST 2013

Hi mark,

The pogoplug company provides two types of storage.

You can either subscribe to their online storage, which is all in the cloud... This option requires a subscription fee.

Or you can purchase a small device (as I did), which you connect to your home network. They aren't very expensive. About $40. Maybe less. And no subscription fee. Then you can connect up to 3 or 4 USB hard drives to it and that becomes your online storage which you can access from anywhere (but is within your control rather than being in the cloud). If you want DNLA, this is the option you want.

You can also use it as a backup device, a bit like TimeMachine. The client software comes with backup features.

If you have a lot of data but poor upload speed, you probably would be better off with the second option, as you will be transferring over your local network rather than via the web.

I recommend the pogoplug device. It's very useful, small and low powered device, so you can just tuck it away somewhere and forget about it. The newer devices might even have new and improved features. I haven't checked lately.

Hope this answers your questions.

- Hans