[dba-Tech] Bizarre Font event

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 00:50:08 CDT 2013

Actually the problem got resolved once said colleague upgraded to the
latest MySQL. Dunno what that means about the previous version, and frankly
I don't care. Point is, once he upgraded the problem disappeared, and at
last we are on more serious issues.

Aside from this glitch, we are doing swimmingly well, And all this has
caused me to write some code to deal with PTQs very efficiently.

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 8:57 PM, Peter Brawley
<peter.brawley at earthlink.net>wrote:

> On 2013-03-17 1:15 PM, Arthur Fuller wrote:
>
>> I'm working with a guy in San Francisco. The app is Access + MySQL back
>> end. We use a cool MySQL IDE called Navicat, one of whose virtues is easy
>> backups.
>>
>> I did a little demo app of some concepts we're exploring vis-a-vis his big
>> app. I sent my colleague a zip containing the Access FE and the MySQL
>> backup. He restored it on his server, set up a DSN and ran the demo.
>>
>> The demo works fine, in terms of functionality. But for some reason, some
>> of the text fields are displayed in Chinese characters. An examination of
>> the tabledefs within Access reveals that Access thinks these fields are
>> binary, when in fact they are just text. How this happened, or in which
>> piece of software, I have no idea.
>>

> The short answer is, to avoid MySQL charset hell do everything (database,
> app, /everything/) in UTF8. For the longer answer see
> http://www.bluebox.net/about/**blog/2009/07/mysql_encoding/<http://www.bluebox.net/about/blog/2009/07/mysql_encoding/>
> .
>
> PB
>
> -----
>

>> Has anyone ever seen this sort of behaviour before? Or know what can be
>> done to fix it?
>>
>> TIA,
>> Arthur

Arthur
Cell: 647.710.1314

Prediction is difficult, especially of the future.
  -- Niels Bohr