[dba-Tech] AV+Firewall

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Sat Mar 30 13:59:13 CDT 2013

Vipre's Firewall is very easy or very granular - whichever you wish it to
be. When purchasing the suite you also have bad website blocking and 3rd
party updating. I run the suite on my main PC. I like that I can block all
traffic or disable the firewall from the task tray icon with two clicks.
It's helpful for testing purposes.

In addition to Vipre I use OpenDNS for my DNS server (so I am doubly
protected from bad sites) and run a weekly scan with MalWareBytes (which has
yet to find anything on my computer but I lean to the cautious side because
prevention is so much easier than recovery.

One thing to note is that GFI recently announced they are spinning of Vipre
and the other security related ventures into ThreatTrack Security. Although
GFI was good for Vipre due to its marketing savvy, network security scanning
and patch management tools, I think this is a good thing for Vipre due to
the focus of the new company.

As for ZoneAlarm's suite all I can remember is that it has a rather odd UI.
They may have improved it. They used to buy they AV component from CA but I
can't see that they do anymore.