[dba-Tech] Older is wiser

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Mon May 6 04:30:48 CDT 2013

 Hi Hans --

No problem with PHP or jQuery code snippets - we can always check them against guidelines as the following:

PHP:

http://www.phpdeveloper.org.uk/articles/php-coding-guidelines/

http://pear.php.net/manual/en/standards.control.php

http://framework.zend.com/manual/1.12/en/manual.html

jQuery:

http://coding.smashingmagazine.com/2008/09/16/jquery-examples-and-best-practices/

http://www.artzstudio.com/2009/04/jquery-performance-rules/

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1245598/jquery-standards-and-best-practice

etc.

I personally do not use PHP (I'd not mind but 24 hours day time frame doesn't allow me to do any PHP playing/development) and I'm just a beginner with jQuery but a quick look through the guidelines I have posted above makes me sure that *conceptually* coding standards for different programming languages are very similar nowadays (in the past they were often limited by a certain technology limitations as e.g. 6 chars long var names in PDP-11 macro-assembler to fit into RADIX50-based four bytes slots or "ALL CAPS" var names because of absence of low case chars in early versions of FORTRAN, or LRNC (Leszynsky-Reddick Naming Conventions) we're so used to use for VB6/VBA because of absense (IMO) of Intellisence and "type ahead/autocomplete" editors which are so common nowadays )...

Go ahead - post your code snippets!

Thank you.

-- Shamil

Понедельник,  6 мая 2013, 1:31 -07:00 от Hans-Christian Andersen <hans.andersen at phulse.com>:
>Hi Shamil,
>
>I'll be happy to share a chuckle or two with you friendly folks over the coming days.
>
>I just want to point out, however, that these are all very specific to web development - in PHP in particular and jQuery as well - so some of the ridiculousness you will see in these coding samples will have to be understood within that context. I mention this simply because for someone who isn't familiar with web development and is more focused in desktop applications, for instance, may not be able to fully appreciate the level of "what? how? why did you do that???" that I will be presenting you. :) But I will try to leave a bit of inline commentary to give a bit of context.
>
>I will have to be a bit careful about this as well, because it is not my intention to publicly shame anyone... and, as you all know, Google is indexing our emails.
>
>- Hans
>

>On 2013-05-06, at 1:09 AM, Salakhetdinov Shamil < mcp2004 at mail.ru > wrote:
>
>> Hi Hans --
>>
>> Could you please post code snippets? - it would be interesting and useful for our everyday business to discuss your/your candidate developers and others (including myself) coding style/guidelines preferences (and software (architecture) design patterns). If you'll post the code snippets here it would be a good idea IMO to change the subject line.
>>
>> As for the subject: in my experience the older I'm getting the more *production* quality code I can produce per hour. *Production* means that this code works 24x7x365 with just a few incidents/issues, which are usually promptly fixed and which almost never harm anyhow my customers business. I can't call my coding perfect but comparing it with industry standards/guidelines (which are many, and which are often rather different coming from different experts/companies) and with other programmers I can say my coding is good enough and advanced (architectured) just enough to keep it up-to-date with constantly changing customers' requirements. I must also note I have happened to "inherit" other programmers code and to have my code "inherited" by others within last years - I have mainly inherited the code from younger programmers - it's good in general but they too often (more often then myself) use "hacking" and they rather often leave "small defects" in their code which result in big issues, and they don't use Unit Testing at all...
>>
>> Is my real life coding experience subject's statistics relevant, especially in the light of your real life senior programmers hiring experience - you decide...
>>
>> The more production quality code per hour I'm developing here nowadays comparing past times could be just the result of development technologies advancements...
>>
>> Thank you.

<<< skipped >>>