[dba-Tech] The latest Debian

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun May 12 14:25:11 CDT 2013

Hi Shamil and Gustav:

Taking this discussion from the other side, one big question remains.

Given that Linux was created with virtually no money and its various
components are designed on very limited budgets, lots of volunteers, in some
cases, working out of their basements, in their spare time, funded from
donations or from tax incentives given out by other large companies which
makes any money source, very tentative at best. It has not been until very
recently that there is some stable money sources for Linux development.

OTOH, given that Microsoft has a budget that is steady and in the billions.
They can buy the very best developers, systems managers and sales staff
(which in the case of Linux is non-existant).

Therefore, comparing the two development environments it would be logical
that Microsoft would be able to build a product superior in every way to
Linux...but the opposite is true.

On comparison, does this suggest that a corporate entity can not produce a
good product? Not at all, think of Oracle. It's prices are expensive but
they have designed some of the best databases in the market. They a fast
reliable, secure, innovative and the products run on all the major
platforms.

Companies do not mind paying a good price for a product but they expect
quality. Linux (and its related products) has set the bar and in twenty
years Microsoft is now scrambling to keep up and the performance gap keeps
getting wider.

My question is, why is this so? That rant/posting, though questionable may
have given some insight in to the core reasons. Does anyone have a better
suggestion as to the causes and subsequent results?

I am willing to listen to any suggestion as no one is more frustrated than I
have been, in the last few years, with Microsoft.