[dba-Tech] TIOBE Programming Community Index for May 2013

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue May 21 12:02:45 CDT 2013

Hi Shamil:

Your attached article is very interesting and it hits upon a few points that
have not really been addressed or completely resolved in either the CPU
(multi-core) or in any kernel. It is also interesting that the software
design used in our LAN cards may be a partial solution to these problems.

On the other point of your post, I would say that I have been working with
software, though built on C, has made few attempts to isolate "C"'s inherent
weaknesses. One misnamed or misused variable/class/function or not running
garbage collection in a timely manner and the package bails unceremonious to
the desktop killing either the virtual drive or NTDVM in the process.

I am of two minds on this programming position. It is a good lesson to have
to learn how to properly program and be able to carefully manage your code
but in today's world where getting immediate results is much more important
than good coding and the new generations of programming languages sort of
"handle(?)" inconsistencies, good technique does not ever have to be really
learned.

Even such browsers as IE, Chrome and FF bleeds everywhere and if you running
internet testing all day, without restarting, these packages slowly keep
eating all the memory, run slower and will probably crash the system if left
long enough. Considering that browsers are the next desktop, to me it is a
little sad.